Things to do
Villa San’s manager has a wealth of information about nearby places of interest and will help arrange transport and make any bookings required. Do also ask the staff about the local area too. Several of them live nearby and can give an interesting insight into some of the fascinating aspects of Balinese life.
In the meantime, here is a taste of the many and varied activities on offer within reach of the villa.
- Escape the afternoon heat and watch the antics of the long-tailed macaque monkeys at Ubud’s Sacred Monkey Forest. And mind your belongings, these monkeys are skilled pick-pockets!
- No visit to Ubud is complete without seeing at least one traditional dance performance. This is a great opportunity to see classic Hindu legends being told through dancers in colorful, Balinese costumes.
- The many spas and meditation centres of Ubud offer a wide range of eastern and western therapies from reiki to acupuncture, and yoga to herbal scrubs.
- In March, Ubud hosts the Bali Spirit Festival of Yoga, Dance and World Music. Five days of yoga and music workshops, three nights of inspirational world music.
- Join amateur and professional artists from around the word, on Wednesday or Saturday morning, for Life Drawing session at Pranoto’s Art Gallery opposite Goa Gajah Caves
- See some of Bali’s best scenery on a daytrip to volcanic Mount Batur. The largest crater lake in Bali fills part of Mount Batur’s caldera while small villages cling to the rim. The views from the nearby village of Penelokan are well worth making the trip.
- Soar above the spectacular southern coastline of Bali on a paraglider. Paragliding courses, tandem and solo flights are available.
- Tour the Karangasem Palace at Amlapura, visited for its unique combination of Balinese, Chinese and European architectures.
- Being in the centre of the Island, Ubud isn’t the place to base yourself if you’re after a beach holiday! But if you fancy a day trip down to the coast, Sanur (25 kms) is probably the best option although Candi Dasa (35 kms) is less crowded. To make a full day of it, drop in at the Bali Marine and Safari Park and the traditional village of Tenganan en route.
- Pulau Dive Charters offers luxury boat charters around the beautiful islands and waters surrounding Bali. They specialise in private fishing, surfing and diving charters and also offer unique personalised day trips to Nusa Lembongan. Perfect for a family day out on the water or with a group of friends.